History of Walton Aerodrome
- A dedicated, philanthropists Group of Aviators founded, The Punjab Flying Club in
1930 and later in 1932 named it the Northern Indian Flying Club and took 157.87
Acres of land initially from the Forest Department in Village Rakh Kot Lakhpat and
village Bhabara . Forest trees were cleared to construct a green airfield from where
they started their flight operations. Subsequently converted green airfield into
a Concrete Runway. Not only this Aerodrome was used in the 2nd World War by the
Army but for civilian aircrafts as well.
- Government of Punjab transferred an area of 259.53 acres of State Land to the then
Government of India, Aviation Department for a period of 50 years for the purpose
of Civil Aerodrome ( Known as Walton Aerodrome).
- The Walton Aerodrome has its Historical Value because at the time of partition,
Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah landed first time on this Aerodrome in 1947 and
remained under operation as passenger Airport uptill early 1960 and subsequently
shifted to Lahore Airport , now as Allama Iqbal Airport secondly so many Aviators
are operating here which are the best Training Institutes for commercial pilots
in Pakistan . Operation of the Aviators are being maintained from dawn to dusk.
Department of Plant Protection (DPP) operates from Walton Aerodrome for agricultural
spray with their aircrafts in the country . The length of Runway is 6200’ and 150’
width . Due to General Aviators Fire Station and ATC along with AIWA Type 2287 2VHF
Channels are being maintained thoroughly from dawn to dusk. Presently about 2000
flights are operating per Month by aviators at Walton Aerodrome Lahore. Hence Walton
Aerodrome possess the value of "National Heritage"
- In this regard, a comprehensive detail of Land pertaining to Walton Aerodrome Lahore
is as under herewith.
Horticulture Works at Walton Aerodrome Lahore
Frequent VVIP / VIP movements at Walton aerodrome takes place. Under mention improvement
/ beautification, recommendation have been raised to HQ CAA for needful . No funds
as yet provided.
Note:- With Local resources extra ordinary steps have been made
for improvements of landscaping .
- Complete removal of the bushes wild grass and filth at the both ends of runway and
along the sides as well.
- Further leveling of the land around the runway with the development of grassy beds
- Plantation work of small and good looking trees at vacant places without compromising
operational security for development of grassy bed, flowering work and plantation,
at least three new tube wells of 1 Cusec each may be installed.
- HQ CAA provided a tractor Messey Ferguson 260 to Walton Aerodrome Lahore, however,
most required accessories i.e. harrow discs, ditcher, front blade and trolley may
also be provided.
- For all above proposals, works Section has estimated total Rs. 10(M).
Organizational Chart of Walton Aerodrome Lahore
- Coverage of aeronautical activities throughout the day (dawn to dusk) of old and
famous flying club of the country "Lahore Flying Club", operation of various other
many companies i.e. Hybrid Technics, Ultralight & Sports Flying Club, Department
of Plant Protection, Airborne Aviation, Scaled Aviation Industries and some prominent
individuals aircrafts etc.
- Establishment and administration of CAA Housing Colony, CAA Officers Residential
Complex, Bachelor’s Residential Block of 118 individuals.
- Regular maintenance and repair commitments (of special& routine nature) pertaining
to airfield, CAA premises, all residential areas i.e. CAA Staff Colony, Officer’s
Residential Complex, Bachelor accommodations, Medical Center and School etc.
- CAA Staff Mess of about 105 CAA Employees. Necessary administrative arrangements
i.e. constant supervision and coordination for smooth working of the Mess.
- Functioning of CAA Medical Center (situated in CAA Housing Colony at Walton Aerodrome)
working on round the clock base, provided with an establishment of an emergency
unit with two Ambulances, (approximately 40/50 (average) patients/medical cases
report daily at M.I.Room). Management supervision and coordination for its smooth
- Functioning of CAMB, headed by a Senior Medical Doctor (Specialist in the relevant
field) for medical examination of Air Traffic Controllers, Pilots and other flying
- CAA School (Secondary Level) necessary liaison, coordination and logistic support
for its smooth functioning, maintenance, horticulture work and assistance of emergent
nature as and when required.
- Handling and monitoring of huge number of litigations in various courts, Revenue
Board, Punjab / Distt. Govt. numerous CAA’s land issues with Pak Army, Navy, PAF
and many other private parties. This is the most important attention needy and time-consuming
feature at this Aerodrome with regard to safe-guardining of valuable assets and
protection of CAA’s interest.
- Safety and Security arrangements for he entire Aerodrome including residential areas,
specially. Airfield and operational area to save from the movements and activities
of trespassers, violators and mischievous elements, particularly during Flying Operation
to avoid from any unpleasant incident. Likewise, strict watch and security for protection
of CAA’s moveable and immoveable valuable property.
- Sanitation work of the entire Aerodrome at all the times, including Medical Center,
Mess, School and all adjacent Roads/Streets of CAA staff Colony. Officers Complex
and surroundings etc.
- Close liaison and coordination with G.M. APS (North) Office, AIIAP, Revenue Board,
WAPDA, WASA and Local Police etc. in connection with operational, administrative
and social issues of the Aerodrome, Residential Areas and CAA’s population.
- Commercial activities (to monitor and supervise proper documentation and functioning
of 22 concessionaries, having contracts/lease agreements for various businesses).
It is also submitted here that there is scope of increasing commercial activities
and enhancing CAA Revenue subject to the full support assistance from HQCAA.
- To handle and supervise aforementioned operational and administrative activities,
14 CAA Sections.